Walleye Simmered in Basil Cream
You will need
¼ cup heavy cream (or full-fat coconut milk if dairy-free)
¼ cup fresh basil leaves, plus extra for garnish
2 tablespoons ghee or unsalted butter (or coconut oil if dairy-free), divided
½ cup chopped onions
1 clove garlic, smashed to a paste
1 pound walleye fillets, skinned and cut crosswise into 1-inch-wide pieces
1 teaspoon fine sea salt
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
¼ cup fish or chicken bone broth, homemade or store-bought
Cherry tomatoes, cut in half, for garnish
1. Place the cream and basil in a food processor or blender and puree until the basil is completely broken down.
2. Heat a cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Melt the ghee in the hot skillet, then add the onions and garlic and sauté for 2 minutes, until the onions are translucent.
3. Season the fish pieces with the salt and pepper. Place the fish in the skillet and add the broth and basil cream. Cook, uncovered, for 7 minutes or until the fish is cooked through and starting to flake.
4. If you prefer a thicker sauce, remove the fish from the pan and continue to boil the sauce for 10 minutes or until thickened to your liking.
5. Place the fish on a serving platter, cover with the sauce, and garnish with additional basil and halved cherry tomatoes.
6. Store extras in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat in a lightly greased skillet over medium heat until warmed through.