How to make Beef Stew
1 (1-pound) boneless beef roast
Fine sea salt and ground black pepper
3 tablespoons MCT oil or bacon fat
½ head (2 cups) cauliflower, cut into 1-inch pieces
2 cups button mushrooms, sliced in half
1 cup diced onions
2 large stalks celery, cut into ¼-inch pieces
3 cloves garlic, minced, or 1 head roasted garlic, cloves squeezed from the head
4 cups beef bone broth, homemade or store-bought
1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes, or 2 fresh tomatoes, diced
½ teaspoon dried rosemary, or 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, finely chopped
½ teaspoon dried thyme, or 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, finely chopped
1. Pat the roast dry with a paper towel and cut it into 1-inch pieces. Season the meat on all sides with salt and pepper. Place the MCT oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. When hot, sear the beef chunks in the oil until they are golden brown on all sides, about 3 minutes.
2. Add the cauliflower, mushrooms, onions, celery, and garlic to the pot with the beef. Sauté for 3 minutes
3. Add the broth, tomatoes, rosemary, and thyme to the pot. Cover and cook for 1 hour, stirring every 20 minutes or so.
4. Uncover and cook for another 30 minutes to thicken the stew. Remove from the heat and serve.
5. Store extras in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days or in the freezer for up to 1 month. Reheat in a saucepan over medium heat for 5 minutes or until warmed through