I made this recipe about five years ago for my brothers and sisters. Since I’m always trying new recipes, I had totally forgotten about this one until my sister-in-law reminded me of how much they loved the BBQ chicken lasagna I made for them. For her to remember this dish from years ago, it must have been good! And trust me, it is.
4 cups tomato sauce
2 teaspoons liquid smoke
¼ cup Swerve confectioners’-style sweetener or equivalent amount of liquid or powdered sweetener
16 thin slices deli roasted chicken breast
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
3 cups shredded cooked chicken thighs (from about 2 pounds bone-in thighs; see below)
1 pound button mushrooms, sliced and sautéed in butter
1 green bell pepper, chopped and sautéed in butter
½ cup diced onions, sautéed in butter
how to make slow cooker shredded chicken thighs
2 pounds bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
2 cups chicken bone broth, homemade or store-bought
¼ cup diced onions
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 teaspoon fine sea salt
½ teaspoon ground black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F. Grease a 13 by 9-inch baking dish.
2. Prepare the sauce: Place the tomato sauce in a large bowl. Add the liquid smoke and sweetener and mix to combine. Set aside.
3. Assemble the lasagna: Pour 1 cup of the sauce into the greased baking dish. Layer with half of the deli chicken “noodles,” then half of the cheese, half of the shredded chicken, and half of any other fillings you like. (I love mushrooms sautéed in butter and seasoned with a touch of salt.) Layer with the remaining sauce, then noodles, then chicken (with any additional toppings). Top with the remaining cheese.
4. Bake the lasagna for 45 minutes or until the sauce is bubbly and the cheese is golden brown. Let it rest for 10 minutes before serving
5. Store extras in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat in a baking dish in a preheated 350°F oven for 5 minutes or until warmed through.
Place all the ingredients in a 6-quart (or larger) slow cooker. Cover and cook on low until the chicken is fork-tender, about 6 hours. Remove the chicken from the slow cooker, then remove the skin (reserve the skin for making chicken cracklings.Pull the meat from the bones, discard the bones, and shred the meat using 2 forks. Store the chicken in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days, or freeze for up to 1 month. (Note: If you’re not using the chicken right away, store it with some of the juices from the slow cooker. It will help keep the meat moist until you use it.) Makes 3 cups shredded chicken.